9.22.2010

September 22nd, 2010: Read this book!

I just read The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. I feel so strongly about this book that I had to post it on here with the strong suggestion that every parent read it. If you have kids and you want them to do well in school and in life, read this book, take it seriously, and read to your children every night. The book even has at the back a huge list of great read-alouds with information about each book. I didn't always read to my kids. I started when Dodge was in preschool. I have to say that it makes a huge difference in your child's life. Dodge has come to love reading. I have found that everything else comes a lot easier if you first have a strong reading background. Dodge has gained such great comprehension skills from reading and it has helped with every other aspect of school. Take some time, bond with your child and read to them. I promise, you will never regret it.

You may have tangible wealth untold:
caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
richer than i you can never be-
I had a mother who read to me.
-Strickland Gillilan

1 comment:

Janette said...

Thanks, what great advice and reminder to us parents. I will def get this book!